Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Supporting Missions

This month is missions month at our church and our Pastor from Sri Lanka was here on Sunday to speak about the support of missions. He was saying that 27 years ago the church sent missionaries to plant a church in Sri Lanka and today they have 3000 members. He was saying how investing in souls has a payoff vs putting too much faith in investing in the future of the economy. He also said "Fannie May, Freddie Mac, Lehman, where is that investment now." Good point.

The Richest Fool in the World

Jesus wanted his followers to understand this, so he did what he usually did when he really wanted us to understand something: he told a story. The story is found in Luke 12 about a rich man whose priorities were completely mistaken:

And [Jesus] told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

“This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”

2 comments:

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hey there friend!

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings!

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Very true. alissa milano Louboutin Shoes pumps christian louboutin. Accessories

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...