Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thrift and Big Woop!

I was watching a show the other night on thriftiness. I consider myself pretty thrifty since my hubby is in the Military and I stay home so we are used to living within our means. I guess right now though the Army is a pretty stable job so we basically haven't felt too much of a crunch, but you never know. Anyway I have a little tip that I use every summer (year round here in Hawaii). I think you might call this a stay cation. I always buy water park passes, which I am doing today, for around $320. Quite good considering that a vacation would cost thousands. It's really about spending time with the kids anyway so what kid wouldn't like the water park. You can choose activities from your town, like year round amusement park passes, zoo passes, children's museum passes, and the list goes on. I find that kids enjoy this a whole lot more than going somewhere exotic and it keeps them busy the whole summer for pennies (since we pack our own lunch). I pray for all my friends who are going through tough times right now and in the future that things stabilize. I do believe it is a new way of life, and that the old standard is gone, but the good news is this can be a more fulfilling life. When I lived in Germany the Germans were able to live well on salaries much less then ours. My daughters friends who are from Sweden said they don't spend a lot on stuff. They are amazed by American tv's. Since they grow up watching very little tv if any at all they are used to spending time outdoors and hanging out with family and friends. Maybe this is the way it should of been all along. I notice I am seeing more neighbors outside and at the parks then before when everyone was going from activity to activity. Maybe the change will end up being a blessing.

On a side note. My mom used to say "big Woop" whenever she did something boring. like if I asked her what she did today, she would say "I went to the store, big woop!" Well yesterday I am glad to tell you all I bought a new laundry basket. BIG WOOP!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I think our children are too spoiled. When I was growing up we played outside all day ...only came in for lunch and was made to come in for supper. We didn't stay in and watch tv or play games. Of course, we didn't have the video games to play. but, I have such wonderful memories with my cousins playing games out side and riding our bikes.
Thanks for reminding me of these memories!
Darlene

Debra Kaye said...

What a sweet post! And believe it or not, I have heard the term 'big woop' my whole life! haha

Blessings to you today!

Nadine said...

I use to play outside all day when I was younger. I only came in to eat.

Big Woop - that's funny. I'll have to remember that.

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Very true. quinceanera dresses Louboutin Shoes Pigalle Christian Louboutin.

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...