Saturday, January 12, 2008

Looks like a jellyfish

New Diet Pill: The Expanding Blob

by J. Foster

Wired Magazine reports on a new diet pill - a pill that expands into a gelatinous blob the "size of a tennis ball" after swallowing.

Sound appetizing?

blob.jpg
Image: from Prof. Luigi Ambrosio via Wired

The pill is currently undergoing clinical trials in Italy.

The unnamed pill is made from a cellulose compound of hydrogel, a material that's powdery when dry but plumps up to a cousin of Jell-O when wet. The gel can soak up to 1,000 times its weight.

The plan is to create an effect that is similar to a gastric bypass - but without the surgery.

However - as one commenter points out: "aside from being a growth medium for plants, this class of material is also used in diapers and feminine napkins".



I was reading my Self magazine the other day, I think it was an old issue, an article on this was in it. I just thought it was a cool idea but kind of funny how it was described here. Imagine a pill that becomes a gelatinous blob in your stomach that you eventually digest made out of baby diaper material. Bon Apetit!

3 comments:

jennwa said...

I do not know about that, it just sounds weird. But anything to help loose weight would be good.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jen said...

Not so appetizing.....

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Amazing blog to follow I would suggest to follow my all friends and family to follow his blog . Vivacious Blog - Full life and energy. Keep Posting, wedding gowns Louboutin Shoes christian louboutin fur boots. Empire Wedding Dresses

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...