Sunday, July 23, 2006

let's talk about ADHD

I went to church today and forgot to take my medicine. After sitting there for awhile I figured it out. Here is how it went. When I got to church I took the bulletin and found my seat. I forgot to drop my kid off at children's church downstairs. Of course I do this every week so you'd think I would remember. It is not actually a memory problem with ADHD. but, more of a totally blocking out that I ever take him downstairs. After he taps me several times I take him down. I walk back up and was going to go right to my seat until the usher stopped me. They were right in the middle of the opening prayer (duh) so you are not supposed to be walking at this time in the sanctuary. Anyway there is a page in the bulletin for taking notes. We were having a sermon on ten laws of money. Here's what I write: #1.Law of Contentment, #2.Law of budget, #3 Law of the fish, somehow I got off track and I write need to buy a vegetable basket for BBQ, and renew subscription to Christian Parenting. Yes I was listening, and I can actually listen and write about two subjects at once, but I know if something pops into my head I have to write it down or forget it. At this point I realized I didn't take my meds. and, this is usually how I notice it. I have scattered thought like this at all times. On the meds. I never do this. Anyone who knows me also knows I move at warp speed. When off meds I only sleep about 4 hours a night, but on stimulant medication I sleep a good 7 or 8. I think this is what Dr. Phil calls the medication confirming the diagnosis. Well that's a little of what it is actually like to have ADHD.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

That was a really interesting perspective from one "in the know". I generally write stuff down as I think of it too - just because I won't remember until 3oclock in the morning. I sometimes wonder if I need medication, and then I realize that nothing I take is going to make my kids listen better....(sigh). Anyway, I hope you are feeling more like yourself now. I admire you just for being able to juggle 7 kids!

mom of 2 said...

I have to write stuff down as well. Most things floating around in my head are very fleeting...there one minute and gone the next. I'm pretty sure I don't have ADHD though...I sleep like a rock!

Jen said...

I hope you are feeling better...take your meds and keep looking for cocunut creamer everytime I see it I think of you.
Jen

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...