Monday, July 24, 2006

You want to do what?

My daughter Vanessa, who is 16 has attended a camp for the youth group in our church. She really enjoyed it. She was talking about the night that the teens were praying for a long time and then they all started weeping. I explained to her this was the movement of the Holy Spirit. This impacted her a lot. She is the religious one in this house. You know how all your kids can have different identities, like the tomboy, or the artist, or the brainiac? Well she is my religious kid. Last night I was asking her what she might like to go to college for and she said maybe become a pastor of some sort. I was thinking that would be great. What better than to raise a child who is close enough to God to want to be so involved in the church. She does spend all of her time at church. This morning though I got up and I said to my husband "Oh no, Vanessa wants to become a pastor maybe." He said "I thought you said that was great last night." Of course I thought it was great last night, but then overnight I was thinking how hard would it be to live in a house with a kid going through seminary? It would be like growing up as the pastors kid. I would have to be careful of all my stuff I'm not supposed to do. Not anything big, but sutff like being addicted to reality tv, and sometimes I curse like a truck driver, and of course caffeine. I would die before cutting back on caffeine. I would never discourage her from pursuing this line of work, but I really think it will be weird living with her while she goes to college. She wants to go to the University of Hawaii, and for now we live in Hawaii, but someday we might have to move so their is no guarantees, but I will be glad if she does end up living here and going to school to become a pastor. But giving up caffeine-No Way!

1 comment:

mom of 2 said...

One of our best friends is a pastor and his wife. He is so down to earth and such a real person. (Yes, he drinks coffee and diet coke.) When I first met them I was very intimidated and made sure not to say or do anything wrong. He reminded me that he was just a man and wouldn't be offended by anything I said or did, God was the one I should be worrying about. I personally don't think God cares if I drink coffee or diet coke, he knows I'd be awful to everyone around me if I didn't!! LOL :)

gadgets and apps

So many cool things for the older generation...not that I am that old yet....but can they please get names that don't make the older pee...